Optometry Australia is the influential voice for the optometry profession. It is a profession-centric membership body representing about 90 per cent of Australian optometrists. Optometry Australia is a not-for-profit organisation. It comprises six state bodies NSW & ACT, VIC, QLD & NT, SA, WA, TAS, a national organisation, and a national board which acts as the organisation’s governing body.
Established in 1918, Optometry Australia was formerly known as Optometrists Association Australia. The goal of Optometry Australia and its affiliated state-based membership bodies is to actively strengthen, protect and promote the profession of optometry and eye-health, on behalf of all optometrists.
Optometry Australia is committed to providing maximum membership value through its sharpened focus on the eye-health and vision care sector. This includes access to the best whole-of-career professional indemnity insurance policy – regardless of where they work, including volunteer work in Australia.
Members also benefit from access to confidential and impartial clinical and professional advice as well as quality professional development opportunities, networking and career-advancing opportunities developed for optometrists by optometrists through our well established State Division optometry conferences and CPD programs.
Services and resources provided by Optometry Australia include:
- representation of optometrists and their interests to government and other bodies;
- development and sharing of information regarding vision standards;
- Medicare guidelines;
- practice management;
- financial, marketing and legal services; and
- information and services to the public.
- Optometry Australia is a not-for-profit organisation comprised of six state divisions, a national office and a National Board which acts as the organisation's governing body.
Annual Report 2017-2018
Optometry Australia has released its Annual Report 2017-2018. A PDF is available to download.
Code of Ethics
It shall be the ideal, the resolve, and the duty of the members of Optometry Australia:
- to keep the visual welfare of the patient upper-most at all times;
- to promote in every possible way in collaboration with the association their educational and technical proficiency to the end that their patients shall receive the benefits of all acknowledged improvements in vision care;
- to hold in professional confidence all information concerning a patient and to use such data only for the benefit of the patient;
- to advise patients whenever consultation with an optometric colleague or other professional care seems advisable;
- to see that no person shall lack for visual care;
- to conduct themselves as exemplary citizens;
- to maintain practices in keeping with professional standards;
- to never advertise or suggest that in any way their qualifications, equipment or techniques are superior;
- to maintain and promote cordial and useful mutual relationships with members of their own profession and of other professions, for the interchanging of information for the advantage of their patients.
Engage with Us
There are many ways your organisation can deliver a targeted message to the Australian and global optometric segment, in the trusted context of Optometry
Australia communications. Refer to Optometry Australia Engage with Us PDF.
- Digital channels
- National Marketing
- Continuing Professional Development
2015-2018 Strategic Plan
Optometry Australia's Strategic Plan for 2015-2018 has three major themes that underpin the work that the organisation undertakes on behalf of its members and that support our mission to lead, engage and promote optometry, optometrists and community eye health. Optometry Australia and all State organisations have committed to delivering this shared plan:
- Influential voice (Lead) – Eye health is vital to individual and community health a strong voice leading the profession will create an ideal environment for the profession to meet community eye health and vision care needs
- Professional Aspiration (Engage) - Optometrists are vital in delivering better eye health outcomes for the Australian community
- Positioning the profession (Promote) - We are an active force for promoting and delivering better eye health outcomes for the whole community
These themes are underpinned by our shared resolution to:
- Creating an Enduring Organisation - Our independent and influential organisation makes a real difference in strengthening, supporting and promoting the profession.
Annual Report 2015-2016
Optometry Australia has released its Annual Report 2015-2016. A PDF is available to download.