Applications are now open
Have you ever wanted to undertake a professional development short course or attend an optometry conference interstate or overseas, but been held back by the cost?
The Early Career Optometrists Victoria South Australia (ECOV/SA) committee are excited to announce that the ECO Education Grant (Vic) is now open for applications. The annual grant of up to $1,500, is specifically for early career optometrists (ECO) based in Victoria, who are wishing to undertake additional professional development activities.
We are currently looking to establish a similar grant for South Australian-based ECOs, that will be available in 2020.
Victorian ECO’s can apply for funds to support a range of activities such as:
- participation in professional development short courses or specialist certificates such as those run by the University of Melbourne or the Australian College of Optometry;
- attendance at national or international optometry conferences;
- further study including Masters, PhD or research studies, or
- postgraduate certificates or courses (run by recognised institutions) which may be within or outside the practitioners current scope of practice.
Applications are due by 5pm Wednesday 23 October 2019. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com using the ECO Education Grant (Vic) 2019 Application Form (see below).
The annual ECO Education Grant (Vic) is generously supported by Dr Christolyn Raj and Sunbury Eye Surgeons.
In order to apply ECO’s must be:
- eligible to practise optometry in Victoria;
- up to ten years from graduation from their optometric degree, and
- a current member of Optometry Victoria South Australia.
Applicants must review the ECO Education grant (Vic) Terms and Conditions 2019 before applying.
Applications must be received on the ECO Education grant (Vic) Application Form 2019.
Applicants may request reimbursement for travel that has already been paid for, but not undertaken. Applications will be assessed by the ECOV/SA committee in conjunction with Optometry Victoria South Australia.
The grant may be offered to more than one applicant. If this is the case, the amount received by each successful applicant will be determined at the discretion of Optometry Victoria South Australia.
A similar ECO Education Grant (SA) will be available for South Australian-based ECOs from 2020.
Education Grant ideas
ECO’s can apply for funding to support a range of professional development activities. Some examples are included below, as ideas that applicants might consider:
- certificate and specialist certificate courses in advanced contact lenses, paediatrics, glaucoma, myopia, anterior eye disease and dry eye, management of neuro-ophthalmic disorders, or management of paediatric patients;
- half-day and full-day clinical workshops on foreign body removal, diagnosis of glaucoma using OCT, mini-scleral and orthokeratology contact lenses, gonioscopy and other glaucoma assessment techniques;
- further study in optometry including Masters, PhD or research studies, or
- national conferences such as Blue Sky Congress, or international conferences such as ARVO.