Regional Seminar (SA) - Getting started in speciality contact lenses and real-world applications
Date: 27/05/2024 (ACST)
Venue: Majestic Roof Garden Hotel, 55 Frome Street, Adelaide, SA, 5000
Provider: Optometry Vic/SA
Contact: Lisa Busuttil, [E] email@example.com, [P] 0396529101
Regional Series (SA) Speaker: Kristin Bailey
This presentation aims to provide a comprehensive overview for optometrists looking to venture into specialty contact lenses, offering practical insights and real-world applications to enhance their understanding and application in clinical practice.
This session will cover:
• The importance of contact lenses in addressing unique vision needs.
• The diverse range of specialty contact lenses available.
• Case studies highlighting successful applications of specialty lenses in addressing non-challenging and challenging eye conditions.
• Practical insights into the integration of specialty lenses in optometric practice.
• Tips for effective communication with patients about the benefits and care of specialty lenses.
- Understand the concept of specialty contact lenses and their role in addressing specific vision needs
- Identify the various types of specialty lenses and their applications in optometry
- Consider crucial factors when venturing into specialty contact lens practice
- Apply practical knowledge of how specialty lenses can be integrated into daily optometric practice
- Develop communication skills for discussing the benefits and care of specialty lenses with patients
Max CPD hours awarded: 2
|Getting started in speciality contact lenses and real-world applications
|Duration of CPD Session/Module
|Duration of CPD Session/Module inclusive of Assessment Component
Meet your speaker:
|Kristin Bailey is an optometrist with a focus in advanced contact lens fitting. She has a rich professional background in eyecare spanning Australia and the United States since 2005.
Kristin’s journey into optometry began in Michigan, where her fascination with advanced contact lens fitting ignited while working closely with a seasoned optometrist. Throughout her career, she has been guided by exceptional mentors within ophthalmology, optometry, and the contact lens industry.
Kristin holds a Bachelor of Medical Science (Vision Science) and a Master of Optometry from Flinders University, along with a Bachelor of Biology from Oakland University. She is therapeutically endorsed and holds a Certificate in Advanced Contact Lenses from the ACO.
With extensive clinical experience, Kristin practices advanced contact lens fitting at the Flinders Eye Centre, addressing specific medical needs such as keratoconus, post-keratoplasty, aphakia, trauma, and congenital ocular conditions. She also provides contact lens examinations to infants and children under general anesthesia.
In the realm of education, Kristin supervises optometry students at Flinders University’s Health2Go Clinic. She is responsible for developing and overseeing Flinders University contact lens teaching content and provides expert contact lens placement experiences to students at Flinders Health2Go and Flinders Medical Centre.
Kristin’s passion lies in advanced contact lens fitting, addressing unique cases and providing tailored solutions for patients with specific medical needs. She is equally passionate about teaching and mentoring the next generation of optometrists, and ensuring an interconnected approach between ophthalmology and optometry, which keeps her journey in optometry exciting and impactful.