Coronavirus (COVID-19) – what optometrists need to know
- This page contains specific advice to support Optometry Australia members and their patients.
- We will continue to monitor the situation and provide members with state-specific information via SMS or direct email as soon as possible.
- The current status of the COVID-19 virus in Australia, advice and resources can be found at the Department of Health website and updates on each state government health website.
- Rules are changing all the time – the very latest information will always be found on the respective state and territory government websites – click through via the link in the relevant row & column.
- Even if mask wear is not mandated by a state or territory government, the wearing of P2/N95/KN95 respirators (masks) is strongly recommended for optometrists & practice staff.”
|Open||Mask Requirements||Mandatory Vaccination|
|for routine care||for optometrists and staff||for patients (over 12)||for optometrists and practice staff|
|NSW||Yes||No but strongly encouraged||No but strongly encouraged||Employer to conduct their own risk assessment risk assessments and consider vaccination requirements.|
|ACT||Yes||No but strongly encouraged||No but strongly encouraged||No|
|WA||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes + mandatory booster within 1mth of eligibility|
|TAS||Yes||(From 1 July) No but strongly encouraged||(From 1 July) No but strongly encouraged||Yes|
|SA||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes + mandatory booster within 1 mth of eligibility|
* See your state page for further information
Staffing, HR and financial support
For employees, employers & locums
Infection control video updates
COVID-19 Clinical Advice
Includes: urgent care, PPE, infection control,
telehealth, contact lenses
Practice posters and social media tiles
COVID-19 mental health support
Business continuity and support
Other helpful resources
World Health Organization advice and resources
Australian Department of Health advice and resources
Support for our members
We realise this is a difficult and uncertain time for all of us. Optometry Australia’s optometry advisor helpdesk offers our members dedicated experienced optometrists ready to provide confidential support.
Australian Department of Health – National Coronavirus information Hotline
Phone: 1800 020 080
Hours: Operates 24/7
Australian Department of Business
Phone: 13 28 46
Operating hours: Seven days a week, 7.00am to 11.00pm AEST