By Rhiannon Riches
We recap our top 10 news headlines that captured your attention in 2017.
1. Honey gel and drops useful for dry eye
Study shows eye-drops and gel comprising antibacterial Manuka honey relieve dry eye.
2. Let’s talk about MBS item 10943
Many optometrists are meeting the requirements of Medicare add-on items but may not be billing for them.
3. Dry eye ‘bible’ updated after 10 years
DEWS II updates dry eye developments and outlines a step-wise approach to management and therapy options.
4. Vitamin could stop glaucoma
Vitamin B3 has prevented glaucoma and halted further development of the eye disease in glaucoma-prone mice.
5. Come on, get appy
Leigh Plowman shares his seven favourite apps for optometrists.
6. Optometry pathway for WA students
Students in Western Australia will soon be able to start their optometry studies in Perth.
7. CASE REPORT: Life-saving ocular examination
The anterior and posterior ocular findings are unremarkable but a visual field test reveals homonymous hemianopsia.
8. Myopia calculator educates patients
A free online tool is available to help optometrists advise patients about myopia control.
9. Dresden disrupters
A unique business model is operating in the Australian optometry sector.
10. Looming myopia problem: an ophthalmologist’s perspective
Optometrists will be on the front line as we face an onslaught of high myopia retinal complications in the coming decade.