By Rhiannon Riches
Creating a new Medicare provider number for a new location, previously possible only with hard copy and postal delivery, can now be completed online.
The Health Professionals Online Services (HPOS) portal is a secure way for health professions to connect with the Department of Human Services (DHS).
Health professionals can now access HPOS using PRODA, an acronym for Provider Digital Access.
At least three forms of identification are needed to register with PRODA. The DHS recommends a drivers licence, Medicare card and passport, as these documents are the most likely to be verified successfully online.
Once registered, HPOS allows health professionals to complete a range of tasks online, including:
- Print reports of bulk-billing and patient claims for Medicare
- Print reports for Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) webclaim
- Check item number history for eligibility
- View prescription shopping patient summary report
- Make Medicare and DVA webclaims
- Find patient details including Medicare numbers if they don’t have them at the time of the visit
- View patient care plan history
- View DVA patient treatment reports
- Use MBS partial payment calculator to estimate the amount paid by the patient and the safety net benefit amount
- Link to the PBS Schedule
- Link to the MBS Schedule
You can also direct Medicare rebates to the banking details you provide.