Support of up to $1,500 for professional development activities
Have you ever wanted to undertake a professional development short course or attend an optometry conference interstate or overseas, but been worried about the cost?
Optometry Victoria’s Early Career Optometrists Victoria (ECOV) committee are excited to announce a new annual grant of up to $1,500, specifically for early career optometrists (ECO) wishing to undertake additional professional development activities.
ECO’s can apply for funds to support a range of activities such as:
- participation in professional development short courses or specialist certificates such as those run by the University of Melbourne or the Australian College of Optometry;
- attendance at national or international optometry conferences such as O=MEGA19;
- further study including Masters, PhD or research studies, or
- postgraduate certificates or courses (run by recognised institutions) which may be within or outside the practitioners current scope of practice.
The annual ECOV Education Grant is supported by Dr Christolyn Raj and Sunbury Eye Surgeons.
Education Grant ideas
ECO’s can apply for funding to support a range of professional development activities. Some examples are included below:
- certificate and specialist certificate courses in advanced contact lenses, paediatrics, glaucoma, anterior eye disease and dry eye, management of neuro-ophthalmic disorders, or management of paediatric patients;
- Professional Development in Myopia Management Masterclass;
- half-day and full-day clinical workshops on foreign body removal, diagnosis of glaucoma using OCT, mini-scleral and orthokeratology contact lenses, gonioscopy and other glaucoma assessment techniques;
- further study in optometry including Masters, PhD or research studies, or
- national conferences such as O=MEGA19 or Blue Sky, or international conferences such as ARVO.
In order to apply ECO’s must be:
- eligible to practise optometry in Victoria;
- up to ten years from graduation from their optometric degree, and
- a current member of Optometry Victoria.
Applicants must review the ECOV Education Grant Terms and Conditions before applying.
Applications must be received on the ECOV Education Grant Application Form.
Applicants may request reimbursement for travel that has already been paid for, but not undertaken. Applications will be assessed by the ECOV Committee in conjunction with Optometry Victoria.
The grant may be offered to more than one applicant. If this is the case, the amount received by each successful applicant will be determined at the discretion of Optometry Victoria.
Applications open on 1 September 2018.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September 2018.
Successful applicants will be notified of the panel’s decision by Thursday 1 November 2018.
Successful applicants will be invited to meet with Sunbury Eye Surgeons, and will be interviewed about their grant activities for publication in Optometry Victoria’s Scope magazine.
For further information contact Optometry Victoria at email@example.com or by phone on (03) 9652 9100.